Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Ontario's Bruce Power Units return to service


Two units at the Bruce Power Station in Ontario, Canada, have recently returned to service after a 17 year hiatus. At the time of lay-up in the mid 1990s Ontario Hydro, then the operating company, was facing the consequences of a poor performance and reliability. A number of U.S. advisors and managers, many of whom had helped U.S. plants break out of a similar malaise, were brought in for the recovery. 
In 1997 when I was an Associate General Counsel at the US NRC, I was contacted by Ontario Hydro and subsequently was offered a position as a legal advisor. It was a hard decision whether to take the offer and move to Toronto, and I jokingly said to my wife that I would make the decision based on the outcome of a Toronto Blue Jays - Baltimore Orioles baseball game that I was watching at about the point I had to make a decision. The Orioles won 3-2 in the 9th inning.  I stayed in Maryland for another 15 years with the US NRC.

No comments:

Post a Comment